Monday, January 26, 2015

Irish Waves of Montbresia - SOLD! - Day 26 of #jan30in30

10"x10" x1" deep oil on cradled birch panel


Time travel...
thousands of miles away -
a different season -
memories of color, fragrance,
and tiny fluttering wings...
a soft breeze
wraps around my mind.
There is no storm here...
all is calm and well. 
 
As I painted this, the howling winds of the January 2015 blizzard 'Juno' filled the air. I settled in to my studio, and remembered the colors, the fresh air, and my upcoming trip to Ireland.  The first time I saw these over there, I was quite amazed. The blossoms look so delicate, yet they surely must be hardy to tolerate sea air and a stiff breeze off the ocean.  So of course, when I came home, I asked my garden supplier Petie Reed at Perennial Harmony Garden Shop (in Waterford, CT-click on the link for a VERY zen youtube video) if these would grow here in CT. And she told me they will - if they are in a protected area. They're also known as crocosmia here. So of course, we planted them....and they have spread and grown beautifully. The hummingbirds love them! I've painted them in various incarnations both here and in Ireland. I'm reminded how they bob about in the breeze from the times that I've stood outside and painted them....over and over. I found the process absolutely meditative this evening...and falling in love with this plant over and over again....and came to the realization I will paint these quite large - I see them in a significant space. 

Join me on my workshop in Ireland this June

 

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

OMG - that gorgeous blue in the bottom area makes my heart pulsate with pleasure at the sheer knockout contrast next to the red. FABULOUS and joyful painting.

January 27, 2015 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thank you so much Julie! This one WAS indeed an incredible joy to paint!

January 27, 2015 at 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home