Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Snow Day - Thoughts on Studio Landscapes- Day 7 #jan30in30

6"x8" oil on linen mounted on archival panel
Click here to bid or to purchase. 

Now I know you're thinking..."this is not your normal high-chroma big load of whopping color" that you usually paint. True, and like I said earlier these 30 paintings in 30 days are like "research & development" for artists. My plan was to explore some of the things I had put off exploring for one reason or another.  Those who know me, know that "I don't paint snow"...heck, I don't even like snow, and a single dose of it is plenty enough to get my "snow ya-yas" over with. Winter does have it's own beauty, and the quiet that descends when the snow muffles out all sound, is quite remarkable.

So,  I did not go out & stand still to paint in the cold...(can't tolerate the temps)...but had been wanting to do something that Dan McCaw spoke of in his (excellent) book, "A Proven Strategy for Creating Great Art"...in one of the paintings, he took a summer scene & re-painted to make a winter version...from imagination & memory. So I took one of my Barn Island paintings...sat it next to my easel set up & used that as the 'stepping off place'...


For me, it was a great exercise in trying to mix colorful grays, ie, how to keep it close in value range, yet still have color (and not be like one slab of 'battle-ship gray'!). Winter is not my favorite season...so it's a stretch for me to even WANT to paint a winter scene. My inner FL girl LOVES the high-chroma zing...I'm finally getting my butt out of the house during winter...as long as I can keep moving (like x-c skiing), but to stand still in these temps to paint, is just a slow hard soul crushing death for me! I know I'll probably try more winter scenes like this....as long as it's from a place that I'm really familiar with....where I've spent time hiking through....Once it gets above 40 degrees with no wind...I can tolerate it...(hoping I can hang on 'til Spring returns!). As for tomorrow's painting..my eyeballs need some intense light & color! 


Stay warm folks- winter is doing it's thing out there!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

BEAUTIFUL!

January 7, 2015 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thank you Sue!! I just came across all these blog comments in my spam folder...holy cow! (trying to figure out why blogger or gmail is doing that?) I appreciate your taking the time to comment!

January 22, 2015 at 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home