Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Importance of a Good Title for Your Painting!!

8"x8" oil on gallery wrapped canvas, framed
Commissioned work- "Like Sunshine On A Cloudy Day"

Most parents put lots of care into naming their babies. They understand it can carry a lot of weight and be either a blessing or a curse! I'm always curious as to why some artists give no more thought to naming their painting than "Untitled, #1". What does that mean? Did the artist even care about it? Where is the emotional response to your subject? Why are you painting it?  

When I paint for myself, I choose things that really excite me, make me happy, get me lost in some wondrous thoughts. And when I don't...I'm lost- I'm not a painter of just "things or places". When I originally painted one quite similar to this several years ago, I had the song "My Girl" on my mind, humming away, thinking of the movie, and the many times I watched it with my daughters years ago.  The phrase "Like Sunshine on a Cloudy Day" stuck with me - as that's what my daughters are like to me.  

Well, I just had a request for a commission come through my email, and this fellow had googled this phrase....found my painting...saw that it was sold...but contacted me to see if I could paint one similar to that. You see, this phrase was what he called his wife....who had recently passed away late last year. I was so moved by his story - we had a wonderful email conversation. He is putting together quite a lovely tribute to her - and I am feeling blessed, humbled, and oh so grateful to be able to do this! 

I came across a wonderful quote this evening, "Make your love visible in the world through your work." - Robert Lawrence Smith, former headmaster of the Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC.   

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home