Wednesday, January 3, 2007

"Madre" or learning from Sorolla - sold

We stand on the shoulders of those that have gone before us. Once a year I make the exercise of copying an "Old Masterwork". This practice began years ago as an art school class assignment. I am continually amazed at what there is to be learned in this process; 'secrets unlocked'. Now I am painting for a "Fabulous Forgeries" show in Virginia Beach, where the artists re-create works by the Great Masters, carry them a step further, or use a bit of humor in their re-creations.... but humbly give homage to these Masters of all time. I must profess my great admiration for Joaquin Sorolla's works. As a mom, the emotion of this scene, a mother's love for her infant - really connects with me on one level. For the artist-me, this small adaptation of "Madre" is a study of the beautiful shades of grays that make up white - here it is all that beautiful fluffy white bedding surrounding mother and baby. Thanks for the lesson, Joaquin...I'm very grateful.

1 Comments:

Blogger J Matt Miller said...

Beautiful painting! I love copying the old masters as well. My dream was to paint in front of Velasquez's
Juan De Paraja(sp) in the Met. Got approved and everything--then moved.

January 4, 2007 at 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home