Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ballinskelligs Bay, Ring Fort Ard Kearagh, Ring of Kerry, Ireland - sold



16"x20" oil on oil primed canvas

Back to painting with knives! Palette knives, that is. Have you ever been to a place so lovely, it just circles your brain - and you can't let it go? I keep thinking about every place I went/saw/visited on my recent trip over to Ireland. It was my third trip over, I thought I knew the place somewhat well (well for a tourist!). But each time I find out more, and realize how little I do know about the place....and how much more I'd like to know! In early March we took a drive from Valentia down to Derrynane. After passing through Waterville, you drive along the edge of a ridge, looking down to the sea. This is Ballinskelligs Bay. Below us is a ring fort (Ard Kearagh), among ridges of stone walls, and cottages. In late winter, some of the grasses in higher elevations have gone a bit brown & yellow(and still lovely in their winter color), but then go downhill a bit, and it's still green. A welcome sight for one traveling from Connecticut! The day was sunny and there was a crisp chill in the air, fluffy cumulus rolling by to gather for the evening later that day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home