Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Creekside Color, Gray Day, (Clucas Field, Lyme, CT)

8"x10" oil on Belgian linen mounted on archival panel

For more information about this painting, visit this link.

"The subject doesn't matter. One instant, one aspect of nature is all that is needed...Nature is a most discerning guide, if one submits oneself completely to it." -Claude Monet
Saturday morning rose misty and gray.  I was out in Lyme, at Clucas Field painting with others from Lyme Art Association for an upcoming exhibit in conjunction with the Lyme Land Conservation Trust, and the Lyman Allyn Art Museum. 

One of the things I love about gray days, is that the light is fairly steady. The values are mostly fairly close in range, but there can be some rich color in the shadows.  I took an interesting photo of my work against the woods, sort of blends in! 
At the edge of the field, a creek ran down one side.  The notch of a fallen tree rested on another tree, still barely supported by its stump. A large hole in the base of that tree reminded me of the 'troll holes' we used to look for when my daughters where much younger. I felt like I was "living dangerously" trying to avoid the poison ivy and ticks.  Ugh- I had left my 'wellies' in the garage at home! I had intended to bring them knowing full well that I'd be out tromping through a field, and they would keep wet grass, and biting bugs off of me maybe up to my knees.  All in all, I came home with no itchies, no bug bites, and fairly pleased with this little painting (and reminded of just one more thing I love about Spring, yes- even on gray days- the color is subtle, but lovely)!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You are a true plain air painter! Love the subtle colors and great texture!

May 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

THanks so much Norma! That thought certainly makes me smile! (and I'm especially glad I avoided the ticks & poison ivy too!) :-D

May 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Hosala said...

hello Roxanne, I realyy like your works!

May 13, 2012 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks so much Hosala!

May 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home