Thursday, January 4, 2007

Beached Boats, Valencia, 1915/another lesson with Sorolla, 8x10 -sold

Well, now I'm ready for the "Fabulous Forgeries" show opening on Friday the 12th of January, Artists Gallery, Virginia Beach. Another lesson with Sorolla, I really enjoyed "making grays" in these billowy sails. His lush use of paint and that 'loose painterly look' is exactly the thing I strive for in my own work. I usually keep to a pretty limited palette when I paint & in this sky used some Cad. red light instead of alizarin like I had been doing for years...hmmm, I like that warm, muted look in the distant sky. It's good to try something different, break old habits, even if it takes an exercise of "copying masterworks" to get you to that 'ah-ha' moment. Playing with the grays has given me some new insights for another painting that's waiting to be finished.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home