Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Essence of Play/Land & Water - sold


6"x6" oil on canvas gallery wrap 3/4", sides are painted (design continued out on edges)

Some people like to doodle on paper while on the phone, keeping a pad handy for just that purpose, "Well, it's for messages" they'll tell you, but they love the doodle factor. Grocery lists have designy-things scribbled in the margins. Well....yeah, I'll admit to having done these things. But there are times I have taken the notion of doodling in paint. I had been thinking about what I love about land & water, how the edges come together. How it never fails to "make ya look". I honestly think I could stare at some of these formations for hours. I love how treelines come right down to the water in some areas & tall grasses sway in marshy water in other areas. Even the mud flats in the shallows change colors with the light of day. I love how the light can hit the tops of the trees until the sky looks like a color that no one could ever imagine a sky to be. No lofty thoughts here, and I don't know why it never ceases to amaze me. And I continually try to analyze what it is that attracts me so to these areas?

I meet with a fellow group of artists/writers and illustrators once a month. We had been talking about the importance of "allowing ourselves to play" once in a while. So when the urge to doodle with the paint the same way I doodle with pen & paper (sorta like free-flowing thought) I did not squelch this urge - and I think these thoughts will be useful in a larger painting to come.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl Kling said...

Who'd have thunk it's a doodle? Do more!

June 27, 2007 at 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home