Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Singapore Tea Mug




7"x5" oil on gessoed masonite artboard

"Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose; you can smell it and that is all."
- W. Somerset Maugham


Many years ago I had the opportunity to visit Singapore. What an amazing place- overwhelming in its beauty, so many cultures in one city-country. I brought home loads of photos....and a set of these simple little tea mugs. I'm a fan of blue & white china dishes and these mugs with the koi fish were so special to me. I wrapped each of the four so carefully in my suitcase to bring home back then. They've made it half way around the world and across the US as well. I took one out to have a hot cup of tea today....and all the beautiful memories came pouring back! Oh to be in that tropical heaven right now! (bliss).

This painting is available from my Daily Painters Gallery for $100 plus $10 for shipping.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Lovely story Roxanne and a lovely painting. It made me think of myself carrying pottery home from the south of France and from Ethiopia - you have to keep your fingers crossed all the way! These mugs look beautiful and I like the fresh approach you took with this.

January 14, 2009 at 4:27 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Sheila, yes- my heart was pounding a bit as I carefully opened the suitcase & unwrapped these from T-shirts, etc. to see if they made it home intact!

January 14, 2009 at 4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home