Friday, August 6, 2010

Workshop Studies with Camille Przewodek, 'Color Boot Camp'








So, now that I have all these studies listed here, please note that they are NOT finished paintings, but simply studies/ starts to gain an understanding of Hensche's teachings. Done in an abbreviated time frame, they are simply studies to understand the juxtaposition of cool light vs. warm light on sunny days, or grey days. Generally speaking - shadows are cool on sunny days, and shadows are warm on grey days.

The block studies were both done in full sunlight. The house with the blue door, painted on a grey/overcast day. The house with the vehicle out front, was painted in full sunlight. The landscape with the tree in the pasture, was painted in grey/overcast weather (just before a huge storm, tornado warnings, etc!). The figures (mudheads as Charles Hawthorne called them) were painted in full sun. Re-reading Hawthorne's book gave me cause to grin when I came across the statement that figures in the sun are almost easier to paint than a full landscape. I agree! Squint your eyes and look at what's in front of you - what's darker, the sand/grass or the person.

It is always a treat to paint with someone who has a lot more "paint mileage" under them. And as Camille pointed out, when she studied with Hensche, it was 'life-changing'...and with learning something new, you can't go back to what you 'used to do' in the past. You must find how to integrate it into your own work and move forward with it. So, I hope you'll keep following my blog posts as I continue the journey I started last summer with Leif Nilsson, and continue on from studies with Camille this year.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I adore your people and I really like the house with the blue door. I think they work as is! :)

August 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Margaret! It was an intense week...I think I learned a lot. I'm excited to put this to good use!

August 6, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These studies look great! I have seem other students work from the "Color Boot Camp" and think you have done a great job. Your prior classes with Leif really shows. I am going to get the books and read first.a

August 7, 2010 at 4:14 AM  
Blogger SC Shisler: said...

These are wonderful Roxanne. The mud-heads are especially intriguing and VERY strong! There is a maturity & confidence about them. I've seen Camille's and totally admire them - but the mudhead subject is perfectly suited to your style of painting.

Can't wait to see how you carry the color lessons into your new work!

August 7, 2010 at 5:44 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Suzanne, yes, the books are a good place to start digging in to this topic. And it will open a whole Pandora's box of ideas & put you on a new quest. It's rather addicting if you find that's what you're drawn to.Your library might have some of these, but I've referred to these so many times over the years, I'm glad I've had them to peruse at will.

August 7, 2010 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Sally! Yes, it was like finding my voice - this is definitely the direction I want to take in my work. Can't wait to see how things unfold! Thanks for all your kind remarks!

August 7, 2010 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Lisa Daria said...

I took a workshop w/Rob Longley last summer, who also studied under Hensche - really different approach for me - your studies look very successful.

August 18, 2010 at 5:47 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Lisa! I enjoyed visiting your blog - especially the 'sound clip' - really a great show case of your 'dailies' work. By any chance are you a fan of Dan McCaw's? (I love his work, and see perhaps a bit of influence there in some of your pieces?)

August 18, 2010 at 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home