Thursday, September 22, 2011

Summer's End



12"x16" oil on linen mounted on archival panel

Well, hip-hip-hooray! I finally have blogger working again and am able to load photos here once more. Just as I've about decided to go with another blog format. More discussion about that in an upcoming post. Now it's been over a week since I painted this, but my goal that day was to get back to the cove for a simple boat study...of a grouping of boats. In observing them while standing out there over a period of hours, they of course, shift with the winds and tides, swinging to face one direction or another. Usually they all swing to face the same direction, but depending on where they are anchored, some in the grouping may be facing a different direction. So part of my effort - as a painter - was to observe their positions at any one time, and indicate on my painting, where I'd like each of these to be. So while the painting doesn't have the painstaking detail of boats painted neatly in the studio, it is an actual fleeting impression of that moment in time....that part of the day when perhaps the winds were coming from the northwest and the tides changed...you get the idea. And I'm finding that the more I learn, the more there is TO learn. And though I have lived near water most of my life, my boating experience has been limited to canoeing and kayaking with friends.

For more information about this painting, contact me here!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Stocks said...

This is such a dear painting. I just love the simplicity of it.

September 23, 2011 at 2:31 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks so much Jerry! Lately I am very 'into' the beauty of simplicity!

September 23, 2011 at 5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home