Sunday, January 8, 2012

"A Good Start"



16"x12" oil on stretched linen canvas

"Your horse is a mirror to your soul..." -Buck Branneman


Over the Christmas holidays I was able to see the documentary "Buck" about horse trainer, Buck Branneman. It reminded me of the years I spent with horses- and so was in my head while I was painting this.

A friend's beautiful young daughter and her bond with her horse. "Your horse is a mirror to your soul..." according to Buck. Very true. The calm and trust between these two is a beautiful thing to witness.

Hoping to re-photograph this in decent light tomorrow. There's still a bit of reflective sheen from dark wet paint.

I do take commissions to paint your favorite memories, contact me here, for more information.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Stocks said...

Love this beautiful painting. My granddaughter who rode for years has been without a horse during her four years at Georgia Tech. She can't wait to graduate and start riding again.

January 9, 2012 at 7:50 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks so much Jerry! I know how your granddaughter feels!- There will come a time again when it works out...that horse&human bond is so strong!

January 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

It turned out so well Roxanne. I really like your colour combinations and the subtle tonal shifts.

January 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Sheila! This was a very fun one for me, as it brought me some great memories of my own "horse-girl" days!

January 12, 2012 at 7:24 AM  
Blogger kittyannkat9 said...

My father has just showed me this and I had no idea that he was up to this. It is absolutely beautiful. I love my mare so much. And this will definitely be a memory for me. Eve is 27 this year and I never know how much time I have with her, but this is such a gorgeous picture, definitely fell in love with.

January 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So beautiful! You really captured the tender
relationship between the two!

January 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home