Thursday, September 20, 2007

Essence of Play-Abstract Landscape - sold


6"x6" oil on 3/4" deep gallery wrapped canvas

I am out of town for the next few days, just my laptop, but no paint-box. I brought the Sept. copy of American Art Collector with me on the plane and was reading an article about Wolf Kahn. I found an interesting quote by gallery owner Jerald Melberg, "I always tell my collectors not to buy a picture unless it ignites the imagination. It's not about cost, it's about passion and a feeling of connectivity. (The art should) 'feed you' emotionally and spiritually."

Wow, my thoughts exactly! Years ago I was browsing in an antique store when another shopper asked me what I thought about a particular painting....should he buy it for his wife? Did I think she might like it? Well the painting was fine, but didn't flip any switches for me, and I had no idea who he and his wife were. So I just answered, "Mister, buying art is like buying underwear....it's a personal thing ....and it has to fit YOU! You're the only one who can tell if it feels right!" It just popped out of me - and I surprised myself that I even told him that....but hey, the truth always comes out! Wolf Kahn's beautiful use of color in his luminous (and voluminous) abstract landscapes are that kind of exciting - and I can't wait to get home from my trip to paint again!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Elio said...

I really like this!

September 20, 2007 at 11:44 PM  
Blogger Karen Appleton said...

This painting really grabbed me, it feels alive. Really nice! Do more just like it when you get back.
Karen

September 21, 2007 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement Elio & Karen!!

September 21, 2007 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger ming said...

this intrest me as i started something similar today. Sometimes it gets so difficult to keep things simple.

September 21, 2007 at 11:57 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Ming - yes it really is tough to keep things simple and not let irrelevant details to get the best of you!

September 22, 2007 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Heidi Malott said...

I didn't get a chance to comment when this was posted, Roxanne...but I have to say, it really caught my eye also. Very strong, captivating, warm. What a great connection!!

September 25, 2007 at 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home