Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pondering the Rose Garden (unfinished tribute)



Welcome to Wednesday- and literally- the dawn of a new era in our country.

"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew."
- Abraham Lincoln


16"x20" oil on canvas mounted on board (Raymar)

Today's painting is "Pondering the Rose Garden". It is still unfinished....I just had to watch the election returns....painting had to wait. Two of the most gracious speeches I've ever heard. And we still have lots of work to do over the next four years.....
but back to painting- it's almost done...Just a bit of tweaking here & there as well as finish the roses, the figure, and pull it all together at the end. So that will be my task Wednesday morning when I show up to work first thing! Now normally I hate to post unfinished works....sometimes it gets ugly before it gets 'pretty'. At our DailyPainters.com online gallery, we are posting a tribute to Barbara Haukenberry today. I met this woman a little over a year ago when she began collecting my work, and she found so many artists on DailyPainters whose work she also loved & collected. We corresponded via email almost every day, talking about art (of course), family, our similar event that linked us (a horrible car accident & one particular painting), and just life in general. As a tribute to Barbara Haukenberry.... well, she always encouraged me to try new things. I've been wanting to paint the figure in a landscape with palette knives. I think Barbara would be very happy with this effort. I do miss her and her brilliant wit, interesting commentary & insights. She really enjoyed when I began to paint with more impasto, whether with brush or palette knife. And I enjoyed this as well, continuing to use this as a means of expression.

I am so grateful for her friendship, and I truly miss her input in my life. May she rest in peace and grace.



*******As for the Chinese company (online artsales of copies of originals taken from Daily Painters.com) that we thought was taken down....before lunch time it was already back up - and I did find 7 images of my paintings on there (as well as tons of works from other members of Daily Painters). Several letters were sent to them regarding their crimes of copyright infringement, as well as Paypal- who they use for processing payments on their site. By late this evening, the images seem to be removed from the site. Let's hope this is true & stays this way. But I do keep thinking about that phrase "like mushrooms after rain".....something like this will pop up somewhere else. Thanks again to our collectors who buy originals directly from the artist or their designated galleries.

I do welcome requests for commissions. Please contact me at roxannesteed@gmail.com for a price list per size.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home