Sunday, August 8, 2010

Weighty Matters, Hydrangeas, Apples & Scale




16"x20" oil on Belgian linen mounted on museum quality board

"I think a painter is happy because he is in harmony with nature as soon as he can express a little of what he sees....."
- Vincent Van Gogh


I am so happy we planted hydrangeas! This is their second summer in our yard, and they are doing really well! We've got two varieties, a peegee hydrangea, with the white puffy heads that are so heavy with blossoms, they are draping magnificently over our picket fence! The other variety is a beautiful purply blue...with some of them going a rather hot-fuschia color depending upon the soil! I was experimenting with changing up my knife technique on this one...and of course studying the way the light falls in my studio window that faces north (seems to be a constant source of delight for me!).

Hope you get a chance to get outside and smell the flowers today!

Weighty Matters, Hydrangeas, Apples & Scale

About This Painting:
As always, intrigued by the north light through my studio window....and so glad we planted lots of hydrangeas!

Media: oil on Belgian linen mounted on professional artboard
Size: 20 in X 16 in (50.8 cm X 40.6 cm)

How to Purchase:
send me an email

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful painting! Love the texture from your palette knife work!

August 9, 2010 at 5:30 AM  
Blogger Sally Shisler said...

This is KILLER!!!!!

August 9, 2010 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger Rick Nilson said...

this is a beautiful piece. great stuff.

August 9, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Norma, Sally, & Rick! I can't tell you enough how I appreciate your comments- 3 artists whose work I respect & am particularly fond of! You guys made my day!

August 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home