Monday, April 11, 2011

Foggy Day Wetlands, Spring Thaw



8"x10" oil on Belgian linen mounted on archival panel

"The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month."

-Henry Van Dyke


Early Monday morning I went down to the shoreline to the wetlands overlook at Waterford Beach, here in CT. I think this is the first outdoor painting I've done this year. A heavy fog had rolled in over night and mist filled the air, it was actually quite beautiful! And it felt GREAT to be back outside painting again! Contact me here, for purchase information.


**A tip for painters- if you are going to paint outdoors in heavy mist (or possible light rain), you will want to make sure you are working on an oil primed surface. I learned this from a friend in Ireland several years ago while painting out in a light misty/rain. He was painting on an acrylic primed canvas and it began absorbing water and resisted the oil paint like a batik. This was certainly not the look he was after, and was so disappointed. I was painting next to him, and using an oil primed linen mounted on panel (from Raymar) the water beaded up & I was able to push it away with the paint brush/knife. I've since seen this a few times and was glad I had brought along the oil primed panels! AND, it's a great idea to keep your gear light, just in the chance that the weather gets worse and you have to pack up pronto to head for dryer, safer ground.

If you're in Norfolk, VA at the end of the month, I have begun framing new works to take to London Square Gallery in Norfolk, VA; where I'll be doing a demonstration of my palette knife work on Saturday, April 30th. If you're in town, I'd love to have you stop in to visit!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful Roxanne! I am SO excited you will be here soon! I am taking Gloria Coker's class Saturday!

April 12, 2011 at 4:47 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Norma! I am looking forward to this trip & to seeing you, too! Can't wait to hear about Gloria's class, I've always admired her work!

April 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home