Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Inlet To Goshen Cove, Gray Day



8"x10" oil on Belgian linen mounted on archival panel

"Make voyages! Attempt them! There's nothing else."

- Tennessee Williams



Wednesday opened on another gray day...perfect for heading over to the cove at Harkness Park. I'm so glad to live so close to the shoreline, the area has certainly provided some wonderful inspiration. While this morning looked a lot like yesterday, and I was probably not a mile further down the coastline, and I dressed about the same, I was cold to the bone. At least my hands and feet were quite chilled being out in this damp air. But the effects of that heavy mist in the air is so interesting. There are some places where the fresh greens of spring grasses are starting to show near the waters edge. The fog hangs thick over the distant horizon, making it look even further away than it really is. Depending on how the air is moving, it thickens and thins in those distant places. Nothing enhances memory of a place, like standing out in it for several hours, and recording everything on your canvas, and on your heart.

*****Just a reminder for my Hampton Roads friends; next week I'm headed to Norfolk! Saturday, April 30th I'll be demo-ing palette knife techniques and speaking about "Finding Your Artistic Voice" at London Square Gallery from noon to 2pm. I'd love for you to join us!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Pam Holnback said...

Great grays. I really see the weather, and kind of day.!

April 20, 2011 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Pam! I've been trying to take advantage of our gray days...though just the same, will be glad for the sun to come back out any day now! :-)

April 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home