Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Zinnias of August



10"x8" oil on Belgian linen mounted on archival panel

"Flowers seem intended for the solace of ordinary humanity." ~John Ruskin

After two solid days of non-stop rain it felt so great to be out painting in the garden again! My husband started these zinnias in the yard this year, and they are doing so well! Almost waist high and such a nice variety of pinks, magentas, & cream. The hummingbirds love them, too! Which reminds me.....I haven't mentioned yet that we have 'BABIES'!!!! Little baby hummingbirds! They are half the size of the adult birds. The little ones were staying close to the butterfly bushes - I'm wondering if there was a nest in there! There is something truly delightful when you take the time to paint out in nature. You notice the things that you might not (probably not) have noticed if you were quickly just taking photos. I'm hoping to develop that out-door memory, so that when I am back in my studio again (especially over winter) I have lots of these outdoor memories and smaller paintings to develop larger ones from!

This painting is available directly from my DailyPainter.com gallery store.


Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane Hoeptner said...

Roxanne, I think I've complained to you on more than one occasion: I need to get outside and paint toooo!!! Your paintings and words inspire today and is anything more delightful than baby hummingbirds??!!

August 18, 2011 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Diane! I get a lot of happiness from painting outside! There's nothing else quite like it for me. When you're out there painting you become part of your surroundings in a way I've not experienced in any other way. (which is why I feel like a "lost child" in winter...still haven't been tough enough to make painting in the snow a habit!) Maybe (?) I'll give it another shot this winter (?)!!

August 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home