Monday, January 13, 2014

Painting in Ireland Info & Mentoring Mondays - Demos


6"x8" oil on linen mounted on archival panel
Click here to purchase or for more information. 

For the last two Mondays I have been teaching a "Mentoring Mondays" in my studio and it has been great fun! 
Last week I started out explaining painting with ONLY a palette knife (below painting with red jug)...no medium, no brushes, you feel as though you are sculpting with paint. I kept the painting, small and simple as using a new tool can feel so foreign until you get the hang of it!
This week I introduced using some other tools into the process (above painting with oranges). We also discussed the decision making process in painting as it applies to painting on location. Next week we'll continue that discussion and introduce using transparent and opaque paints together as contrast in your work.
This summer I'll be teaching a workshop over in Ireland using these techniques out in the landscape, en plein air! The scenery is amazing, and our hosts are terrific! I've spent much time in this area, and am so excited to finally get to share these painting techniques and fantastic location with you! Visit this link for examples of scenes we've painted over there: http://roxannesteed.com/collections/4358 
 For more information about the painting workshop/retreat, visit this site: http://www.valentiaart.com/


Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I love both still life paintings. I agree the palette knife is a fun tool. You handle it so well, but that is because you know your values and form so well.

January 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I love both still life paintings. I agree the palette knife is a fun tool. You handle it so well, but that is because you know your values and form so well.

January 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Gosh Julie, thanks so much for the kind compliment. Your demos and blog posts have been of great inspiration to me- and given me some new things to integrate into old work...and isn't that exciting when we discover something new to us that we really enjoy?! I think we are so lucky as painters,,,as we'll always have a reason to wake up & look forward to the day...for a long, long time!!

January 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home