Saturday, January 6, 2007

New England Nocturne, 6"x8" - sold


I am convinced, the most exciting action in the winter sky around here starts about 3:30pm. Things start moving, changing, growing, shrinking....colors grow wilder, then more dim, sometimes clouds blow over to leave brilliant clarity. AND IT'S ALL SO FAST. Thursday evening we were driving home from JFK airport in NY, coming up I-95 into CT. Luckily my husband was driving, or I think they'd still be pulling me out of a ditch somewhere. Up ahead the moon began to rise, yes as it always does, but this evening it was different- BIGGER, just over the tree-line in the distance. This large buttery yellow orb with a reflective glow emanating from the edges, then a dark purply-blue cloud started rising from the bottom to cover it, and another streaked across it. The charges started happening and I knew they weren't going to slow down for me. Rats, no camera, & even if I did have one with me, photos from a moving vehicle on the interstate in the dusk aren't usually winners for me. But I did have a little sketch book, so I drew what I saw, wrote what I felt about what I was watching unfold before me.

Several years ago when we lived in San Diego, July 2000 actually, I had seen a painting by Stan Sowinski called "A Midsummer Night". I got to see the original and I was lucky to receive a postcard for this show featuring this painting. Held on to that postcard ever since... I have LOVED that painting from the moment I saw it and always regret not having bought it! I promised myself that at some point I would paint the night sky... and yet, this many years have gone by & I had not yet done so. I have always done plein air painting in the daytime, or interiors or still life setups. This year - I promise myself to paint the night sky - again & again!
Note- the dark wet paint is very reflective on this photo, will try to update it later as the paint dries.

1 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Robin, I've been so inspired by the Daily Painters for the last year I've been watching others, finally decided to take the plunge and put it into practice!

January 6, 2007 at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home