Friday, May 25, 2007

draw-in of Lilacs and Pears


20"x24" oil on stretched canvas

I have 2 lilac bushes in bloom this year! One is a light purple and the other is a dark purple. I've never had lilacs in my yard until we moved to this house here in CT. When I cut the stems to place in my favorite green pitcher, I was surprised at how easy it was to make these blossoms look grand! They just flowed & filled out in such an incredible way. The yellow green pears I had looked like they would be such fun to paint, and the colors contrasted beautifully. By the time I got to this stage of painting, the afternoon was getting late & I had lost my light. But tomorrow will give me another chance to (at least) get the color/shapes/darks/lights blocked in!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl Kling said...

Based on the composition, I'm eager to see this painting progress. The Lilacs are pariticularly beautiful this year, lucky you to have them in your yard.

May 26, 2007 at 6:12 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Cheryl! I am so excited about these flowers!! I've never had such beautiful shrubs before (and last year they only had a couple of puny little blobs for blossoms, too much rain perhaps?) I'm hoping I get another painting of these before they all croak!

May 26, 2007 at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home