Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Song of the Marsh Reeds; Red-Winged Blackbird



6"x6" oil on gessoed masonite artboard

"Let us see that as a bird builds its nest bravely, with bits and pieces, so we must build our human faith."
- Michael Leunig


These birds have such a beautiful sound! It's truly like a celebration of spring to see & hear them! I happened upon this one in the marshy area close to our house one early spring morning. I was so happy to bring him home in my camera, and send him back into the world in paint! The quote is simply a line from a prayer I heard this morning - so beautiful it must be shared;

"Dear God,
We celebrate springs' returning and the rejuvenation of the natural world. Let us be moved by this vast and gentle insistence that goodness shall return, that warmth and life shall succeed, and help us to understand our place within this miracle. Let us see that as a bird builds its nest, bravely, with bits and pieces, so we must build human faith. It is our simple duty; it is the highest art; it is our natural and vital role within the miracle of spring; the creation of faith. Amen."

from "A Common Prayer" by Michael Leunig

Contact me - roxannesteed@gmail.com to purchase this painting.

2 Comments:

Blogger V....Vaughan said...

Oh, I just love this one and all the TEXTURE in many of your latest works :)
...thank you for the nice comment on my "Bottomland"...it was SO GOOD to hear from you!...it's been a while!
V....

April 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Virginia! yes - I do enjoy bringing the texture into my work! I also enjoy getting your emails each morning to see your latest works! (still get a kick out of your 'good Dane' drawings!!hehe. They ALWAYS make me smile!)

April 25, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home