Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cloud of Cherry Blossoms in Silvery Light - sold



8"x10" oil on gallery wrapped canvas (3/4 inch deep) design painted on sides, no need to frame but you can if you prefer

"Happiness sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open."
- John Barrymore


When walking underneath the cherry trees in bloom around the Tidal Basin down in DC the last few days, I had the sense of walking through a cloud of flowers! The sky was quite overcast that day I had gone down there to paint. So the light had a very silvery effect. There was a slight breeze that gently blew some of the blossoms from the trees, raining down on the grass and walk paths as though in a magical place. Families, couples, children were strolling, taking photos of loved ones and just enjoying the setting. I hope I captured that 'sense of place' in this expressive palette knife painting. Between sky and trees, it is a study of the variety of subtle grays!

2 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen Kelly said...

Hi Roxanne,
I really like this painting. The abstract quality of the pink blossoms and the subject draws me into it and the feminine pink applied with the palette knife is lovely. It's reminiscent of the early impressionists and days gone by...
Gretchen

April 6, 2009 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Gretchen! I really love that city this time of year- such an inspiring scene!! I did take the time too to go by the National Gallery & have a good visit with my favorite impressionists! I'm totally revved for spring!! :-)

April 6, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home