Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mystic Seaport & The Charles W. Morgan - plein air



9"x12" oil on Belgian linen mounted on archival panel (Raymar)

"I must go down to the seas again,
For the call of the running tide,
Is a wild call and a clear call,
That may not be denied."
- John Masefield (from Sea Fever, Salt-Water Ballads, 1902)

I spent the afternoon painting over by Mystic Seaport. I'm lucky to live in walking distance of this incredible, historic place. It's a living history museum and you'll find the ship Charles W. Morgan there. The Morgan is the only surviving wooden whaleship from the 1800s American fleet.

For more information about this painting or commissioning a similar one - please email me:
roxannesteed@gmail.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Great little water-scape Roxanne. I love especially the treatment of the water, the way you have applied the paint. Hope you have another great holiday in Ireland - yes, those lambs are so cuddly!

May 27, 2009 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Sheila! I'm looking forward to it! :-)

May 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home