Monday, June 29, 2009

Chasing The Sun, plein air



9"x12" oil on Belgian linen mounted on panel (Raymar)

"Courage...is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what."
- Harper Lee



Sunday I drove back down to Chester, CT to paint with Leif Nilsson again. This quote made me laugh when I found it, as this days painting left me wondering what I'd end up with! The day began sort of gray and overcast, so I chose a spot in the garden that had some interesting shapes of arched shrubs, stone walls & table & chairs. I really liked the basic lines of the composition & got set up....then the sun came out- even better! The light was so strong on the table & chair seat, & top of the stone steps. I started blocking things in as fast as I could...and the light changed again, (gone!). Back & forth the sun was in & about, behind the clouds. Half the afternoon was gone & I wondered how to proceed.

Well, at this point you can either start something new & come back to this another time if the light has changed drastically..OR go from memory & paint what really excited you about the scene to begin with. Knowing of course - that that could change again as the sun moved through the afternoon. Since I didn't have a second panel to start something new, I chose to "press on regardless" and go with what I had started. Another round of strong sun light illuminated the maples in the distance like some kind of colorful stained glass...I liked that so I added it. At this point, I realized I was "chasing the sun" and it certainly reinforced what I've been trying to do- get those major masses blocked in ASAP & the canvas covered. All other decisions are secondary to that. So there you have it- the challenges & lessons of painting outdoors- "Fiddle-dee-dee"...."tomorrow is another day"! Makes studio painting seem so easy!

How to Purchase:
send me an email



Oh, I'm off tomorrow with the family for a short trip northwards.....I'll be back in a few to continue the garden scenes! Thanks for following along.

5 Comments:

Blogger jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Roxanne it's beautiful. It flows and the colors are outstanding.

June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Joan! :-)

June 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger susan hong-sammons said...

really fantastic painting. I love the lushy, brushy strokes. This painting is so full of life that it pulses!

July 2, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

It is imbued with sunshine Roxanne, that kind of elusive, flittering sunshine. A lovely painting.

July 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Wow, thank-you Susan & Sheila! You both made my day!! :-)

July 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home