Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dohilla, Making Hay While the Sun Shines (plein air)



8"x10" oil on Belgian linen mounted on gatorboard

"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are."
- Bernice Johnson Reagon


Dohilla is an area on Valentia Island (Ireland) that is close to the lighthouse. There is an old ruin there, and in the nearby fields, large red tractors were cutting hay. It's such a pretty area, we tried to get a second painting in last Sunday while we were down in that area. It started out quite sunny and 'relatively' warm, but after a few hours, the wind picked up- blowing that chilly air off of the water. brrr. Plein air painting here, is a lot about managing the effects of weather! Not just for the light effects you capture on canvas, but for the painters comfort as well. There are times when the wind is so hard, you can barely hold your hand still enough for paint to reach the proper surface!

Life is starting to get back to normal. I came home late Monday. Tuesday morning I woke up at 3am with my body thinking it was 8am. ugh - jet-lag is like getting hit by a truck. So I spent most of Tuesday doing the mindless activity of laundry! Slowly but surely I'll get back to my routines again.

*****Painters Tip: a reader emailed me to ask about the surface/ & panels I use. I have used Raymar panels for years. I really like their oil-primed linen that is mounted on a hardboard/masonite panel. Visit their extensive website for more information: http://www.raymarart.com/ Recently though, I was looking for ways to cut the weight that I'd have to drag along on painting trips. Any time you fly somewhere with your equipment, you have to keep the weight down (of your supplies, etc). I came across a lighter weight panel used by another artist on Daily Painters:
www.newtraditionsartpanels.com They also provide the oil primed linen but have it available mounted on gator-board which is strong but incredibly light weight. Using panels when painting outdoors makes it easier to see what you're working on....there's no light shining through as it would on regular stretched canvas. Very easy! very light in weight!

How to Purchase:
send me an email

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love these quotes you put in. Thanks for the tip on the panels. I like the raymar ones, but they are heavy.

June 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home