Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sheep in the Meadow, Near Ballinskelligs-study



5"x7" oil on gessoed masonite artboard

"The secret of success is constancy of purpose."
- Benjamin Disraeli

I have been doodling, drawing, & painting masses of sheep lately. Yes, masses of them. Not so much as individual sheep, as I'm not wanting to do a 'sheep portrait', but instead a landscape with sheep! This is a tiny study of a larger work I am starting. I have been 'arranging' sheep - or rather, the shape of their mass. From a distance, you don't see certain details- yet the connection between your brain & eye will tell you what that shape is! The shape of sheep are quite distinctive - and being that they roam sort of randomly, it's interesting to follow the 'shape of the group'. Sometimes it seems there's a "look-out" or two for the group. Some lay down to rest, some are contantly eating!

This area of Ireland, over in County Kerry, lies along the Atlantic Ocean, near Ballinskelligs. It is usually fogged in when I go through there. But there is something so beautiful about this hill-side that leads to the sea!

I've begun the underpainting & 'draw-in' of the larger painting. I like to live with it a bit before proceeding to make sure it has all the required elements!

For purchase information, email me: roxannesteed@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home