Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ewes Fluffy, Not Stuffy mini (Ireland series) - sold



3"x4" oil on Belgian linen mounted on archival panel (Raymar)

"So simple is the earth we tread,
So quick with love and life her frame,
Ten thousand years have dawned and fled,
And still her magic is the same."
- Stopford A. Brooke (1832-1916)


This last of the mini sheep studies I chose to do with a brush...just for comparison sake. Some of my 'knife-painter friends' admit to picking up a brush now & then- "just because we can". It's fun, but I still love using the palette knife - I find a great deal of freedom of expression.

I spotted this sheep with the other two while we were walking out near Culoo rock, on Valentia Island (Ireland). While most of the flock had the "heads up- full alert" look on their faces, this one kept right on eating...couldn't be bothered with us people on his cliffs!

5 Comments:

Blogger David Boyd, Jr said...

love this, he looks so fluffy and regal. simplicity is key.

September 19, 2009 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

This one is irresistible. Those greens are exactly the greens we have here in the north of England - and the sheep look like cousins too, LOL.

September 20, 2009 at 5:14 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks David!

Thanks Sheila! I think that's why I have such a sense of familiarity when I see your paintings- they look like places I've been & seen. I hope one day to get to your part of the world, too!! It looks like an artist's dream!

September 20, 2009 at 5:24 AM  
Blogger Linny D. Vine said...

I'm very fond of this one. Simply beautiful!

September 20, 2009 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Linny!

September 20, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home