Monday, October 12, 2009

Deep Secretive Sea- Irish Fishing Boat, Portmagee Pier, Ireland




8"x8" oil on cradled hardboard panel

"Deep secretive sea,
Tell me
A little something
Of a boat,
A sail,
Even an oar.
A coil of rope,
A sailor boy,
A ship full of joy,
A breeze on the bay,
Sun stricken waves,
Dolphins at play,
A sea-raking prow,
Green hills on the bow."

- from Sea Secrets, a poem by Michael Kirby in the book, "Skelligs Sunset"- 2006.


I've been wanting to paint this colorful boat from the moment I saw it. Some of these scenes I paint from this area of Ireland remind me of some of Michael Kirby's poetry. His last book of stories and poems, "Skelligs Sunset" contains this poem, "Sea Secrets". I've included just a portion of it with this blog entry (above).

For purchase information, email me: roxannesteed@gmail.com

Exciting news - I'll be participating in "Out & About Norfolk" on the dates of October 22-24th. It's a plein air paint-out & show. Please visit this link for more information! - or this one:http://www.studiosatmonticello.com/schedule.html for more information! I'll be packing up my gear to head down there next week for the event!

2 Comments:

Blogger Victor Errington said...

Love this one Roxanne. It reminds me of our Cornwall. I did one very
similar. Lovely painting. All the best.
Vic.

October 19, 2009 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Victor!

October 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home