Monday, November 2, 2009

On The Road To Dingle - Ireland series



8"x8" oil on cradled hardwood panel

"In Ireland the inevitable never happens and the unexpected constantly occurs."
- Sir John Pentland Mahaffy


What a month October was! We just got back home Sunday night from a trip down to DC to move daughter #2 into her apartment, so she's ready to start her new job. It was just a few weeks ago that we moved her sister down there. I was beginning to have flashbacks of all our previous Navy moves. Glad that's behind us. Still facing an unresolved health scare, but painting keeps me focused. I've enjoyed several delightful commissions last month, and have a new one to start this week! I will try to keep up the small "dailies" as I proceed on the larger commission piece. I'm excited about this one, too - as it allows me to collaborate with another person- something that I hope they'll love!

Some people talk of being "armchair travelers". Well, I do enjoy the escapism of painting from memory & reference material of my travels in Ireland. When I'm painting these places, all the troubles of "right now" cease to exist....and I'm back on the N87 heading into Dingle with my friend. Looking out across this valley of fields clearly marked with dark hedges, the bay comes into view - the far edges cradled by the mountains rising up on each side. The Iveragh peninsula stretches out way across the bay, appearing purpley-blue in the far distance. There's a crisp breeze coming in off the Atlantic. That particular day was one of the warmest I've ever experienced in summer in Ireland - oh it was gorgeous! My friend is the gutsiest driver - you have to be on these narrow roads (she lives there part of the year). Being that both of us are artists, we're on the lookout for every amazing view we can paint! She knows all of them!

For the last several years, I get to this point in late autumn...and all I can think about is how much fun I have over there...and how beautiful...calming, yet breath-taking it all is. It's the time of year I start looking on-line at air-fares. Perhaps you need a little escapism to hang by your arm-chair? It's much less than air-fare!

For purchase information, email me: roxannesteed@gmail.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The painting is perfect--that breath-taking moment when you first see the bay. Makes me want to be there right now!

November 3, 2009 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks gb! That's exactly how I felt, too...so breath-taking coming down the road & around the curve...wow! love that place!

November 3, 2009 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Roxanne, your work is lovely!

November 8, 2009 at 5:22 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Joan!

November 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home