Monday, July 5, 2010

Sweet Peas In North Light - sold



8"x6" oil on Belgian linen mounted on museum quality board

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


Light and color...are there any other things that excite an artist so? If you've followed my work for a while, you know this is my studio window, facing north. I've really found it intriguing to study the qualities of light in this situation: the reflective light on a white cloth, cool and warm light bouncing next to each other, the variety of color within a shadow, a pale object that when backlit, appears darker than the light behind it. I can see an endless variety of studies right here in this very spot.

My husband planted sweet peas this year. We've never tried planting them before, as we've always lived places that are way too hot. Well, the fences are springing forth with 'gushers' of blossoms....the more you cut, the more they produce. We'll see how long this lasts, maybe another month?? Hope so. The fragrance is heavenly sweet! And I'm grateful that he's so sweet to plant these for me to paint!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home