Sunday, October 6, 2013

High Tide...and catching up after travels!

8"x10" oil on linen mounted on panel
For more information, or to purchase, click here. 
 
I made it back out to the marsh at Barn Island this past week. This time, it was high tide when I got there. Fortunately, I blocked in those big shapes FAST when I first set up. Why is this so crucial? Well, some times when you're out painting, not only the light changes quickly through out the day, but tidal changes can vary greatly in a very short amount of time! To make my point, here's two photos I happened to shoot while I was there. They are taken about an hour and a half to two hours apart. When I was bringing this painting to completion, the place looked quite different.


Mother Nature, you never cease to amaze me! I was really happy to see the tide as it was, I really love the shapes of land vs. water in these vast expanses of marshy areas. As it turns out, this was a study for a design option for a commission I'm currently working on. And yes, I'm very excited about it! It's great to be back home in my own studio after lots of travel time this summer.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Linny D. Vine said...

Lovely colour and texture...nice spot to paint!

Jeffrey

October 8, 2013 at 5:53 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Jeffrey, It's one of my favorite spots to go paint. Always something interesting there. Before I started going there a lot, I would have thought it fairly predictable, but I've found otherwise! :-)

October 8, 2013 at 6:06 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

;-) Thanks Linny!

October 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home