Sunday, March 25, 2007

Homage to Guercino - unfinished


6"x6" mixed media on canvas

During my trip to London just a few weeks ago, my daughters took me to the Courtauld Museum where there was an exhibit of drawings by Guercino. He was known as the Rembrandt of the South and lived during 1591-1666. This image ....adapted here is from his drawing "Child seen from behind, standing between its mother's knees". All of his drawings, whether in inks or chalks were quite fascinating. This one really connected with me - I found myself doodling this image in my sketch book, then wanting to do more with the image - hence this mixed media start - (no, I'm not quite done yet)- I'll repost the finished image! So far there is just an oil wash, and Conte hard pastels in sienna & umber tones.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Roxanne,

How art thou?

I guess you're busy these days, or maybe working on a bigger project of yours.

'A painting a day', is on hold?

Allan.

March 26, 2007 at 5:57 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Hi Allan, yes, I've been slowed down by the new computer (or so is my excuse). I did get all the photos from my recent trip downloaded...into a file where I think I can retrieve them! ha, So I've been planning some larger paintings...meanwhile I have 3 small ones started or half-done...yikes, I better get the brushes going again!! Thanks for checking! oh yes, and I have some links to figure out how to add to this blog!! Cheers from the wayward painter!

March 27, 2007 at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home