Sunday, October 7, 2007

Sanctuary on the Pond-sold



4"x4" oil on gessoed masonite artboard

Oh, how I love the ones that "just fall off the brush". This little painting was a joy. Just as there are some places that I have hiked that are this type of joy. This is an area up in Rhode Island, Trustom Pond National Wildlife Refuge. Along one part of the hiking path, there was a short side path that led to this little bit of the pond, surrounded by trees that were beginning their autumn changes! The reflection in the pool was like the most beautiful stained glass. Lilly pads and fallen leaves added to the effect. Quiet, but for bird sounds, gentle rustling of trees and grasses, I felt like I was in a private chapel, surrounded by trees, but open to the heavens- part of God's creation. While men have created some amazing interior spaces, this was truly a sanctuary, and a reminder of why we need to protect our wild places on this planet. These spaces are truly our gift from God.

This little painting is a study for a larger painting I'm planning. Now I can't wait to begin!!

I hope to get another post in tomorrow before I leave on my 'retreat'. We are going to be staying over in New York on the Hudson River for a week. Yes, I'm taking my paint box, my husband has scoped out some great views for me! I don't think I have internet access where I'll be though, so there will be no "Cheer Factor" emails going out this week. (computer withdrawal is a difficult thing for me to face, ha!!). But I will be coming home with some great new landscapes, I'm looking forward to this!

2 Comments:

Blogger Diana Moses Botkin said...

Yes, places like this are indeed gifts from a good God. It's a lovely painting, Roxanne!

October 8, 2007 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Diana!

October 8, 2007 at 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home