Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dun Aengus, Inishmor, Ireland



5"x7" oil on gessoed masonite

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tzu


This is one of the most amazing prehistoric sites I've ever seen. Dun Aengus (Dun Aonghasa) is located on Inishmor (one of the Aran Islands). There is a semicircular fort of three concentric enclosures, right up against the edge of hundred-meter sea cliffs. I found it quite terrifying to stand at certain parts! Looking across Galway Bay it seems that sea and sky meet and continue in one expanse of blue-gray. The land appears to be made of slabs upon slabs of limestone, interupted by long cracks interspersed with grasses.

I've been wanting to paint a large, dramatic view of this area. This is a small color study - once I complete this in preparation for a larger work....I'm so excited I can't wait to begin!!

For purchase information, email me: roxannesteed@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home