Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fencing Master/White Block Studies



10"x8" oil on Belgian linen mounted on board. (Raymart)

I went down to paint with Leif Nilsson again Sunday afternoon. We had been talking about Henry Hensche's color studies of colored blocks sitting on a table in strong sunlight. Being that a portion of Leif's fence would make a great "white-block study". That's what I tackled. I felt like I had made a few 'color breakthroughs' today. It will be interesting to see how I can integrate this way of 'seeing' into my work. This is one exercise I know you can do on your own, but I found it very helpful to hear directly from a student of Hensche's the thoughts & process behind these studies.

2 Comments:

Blogger susan hong-sammons said...

really a fine painting from an excellent exercise. This could become a theme

July 23, 2009 at 11:37 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Susan - it really was a helpful exercise (essentially the "white-block" exercise) described by Hensche....it translates into so many things....

July 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home