Saturday, July 25, 2009

Peegee in the Corner, Plein Air in the Artist's Garden



7"x 5" oil on gessoed masonite archival artboard

"What we need is more sense of the wonder of life, and less of this business of making a picture."
- Robert Henri


Documenting the first year of my garden in paintings. This peegee hydrangea has the beginnings of fluffy blooms, still small and a pale yellow-green. They will eventually become white, then go mauvey! I am still amazed every day that I walk out my front door and see the little changes that happen from day to day in this little front garden. We had a horrendous -powerful rain storm last night, some wind with it, too. I was worried all the flowers would be rather beat up. Some of them did take a beating, but didn't look too worse for wear. The cosmos was leaning a bit, and some of the phlox blossoms were knocked off, but mothing too bad. A couple places in the yard had a bit of erosion- I mean this stuff was coming out of the sky like a fire-hydrant had burst!

So this peegee is getting fuller each day. The humming birds love to rest in it. I'm thinking it will continue getting prettier through out the rest of the summer! Oh it is SUCH a delight to be here in this protected space to paint!

Interested in this painting? Send me an email: roxannesteed@gmail.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Sand Hill Art said...

I hope that you have better luck with your peegee than I did; mine did not survive the bitter Michigan winter.
I love your painting style and vision.

July 26, 2009 at 7:01 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Pilgrim! I hope it does do well, too. This is the first place I've lived where I've really noticed them...so I'm hoping it will hang in there while it's getting established. I've seen old ones that are absolutely hanging all over the place! I've heard it said many times - gardening is all about control! hehehe!

July 26, 2009 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Hi Roxanne, our weather on Long Island was pretty nasty yesterday. But today the sun is glorious. That aside, love your garden series. Nice work.

August 1, 2009 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Hi Joan! Thanks so much! I've been out of town for a week now & am missing painting sooo much! (Six day road trip to collect the 2 new grads from college & bring home...)

August 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home