Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Italian Sunflowers North Light Gray Day



8"x6" oil on Belgian linen mounted on museum quality board

"If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have something to do with a shortage of flowers."
- Doug Larson


It was gray and overcast today, which makes for a nice cool silvery light in my studio. I'm still thinking about Hensche's teachings from Camille Przewodek's workshop. Cool light, warm shadows...there's a lot of wonderful color in shadows on gray days.

In the meantime, I have a commission painting started (hints....wedding, Ireland, hmm, what could be more romantic??) I head out tomorrow to go 'fetch my mom' and bring her up here to visit....so it looks like my posting will be a bit dicey for the next several days...unless I find a Panera....and a good bit of free time. I think I might have some 'chores' with mom before we head back up here. Hubby will hold down the fort up here & keep the flowers growing.

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $150 USD plus $10 USD s/h
Or, send me an email

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This piece is lovely Roxanne. I really like the soft lighting you captured in the background!

August 19, 2010 at 5:54 AM  
Blogger AK said...

These knife paintings are really great. The strokes and texture you manage are brilliant.

August 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks so much Asit, glad you like them! Texture and color are as important to me as design & composition! :-)

August 22, 2010 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger Artist said...

love how i can see the thickness in it!

August 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks 'Artist'- that's what I enjoy most about oil paint - the medium is really a visual/textural delight!

August 23, 2010 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Norma! I've been enjoying painting in different light effects lately...trying more on gray days rather than just 'waiting it out for the sunny days'!!

August 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home