Friday, May 1, 2015

"Guardian Angels With 1 of 43" - #Ayotzinapa

12"x12"x1" acrylic on cradled birch panel

I've never been one to put any political notions into my art. But this story left me some what unglued. Oddly enough, I only heard about this once back in the fall, on an NPR news report. Forty-three college students in Ayotzinapa had been murdered in Mexico. Corrupt police and drug gang were involved in this as well. The story stayed with me, really bothered me, even with all the other tragedies going on around the world and in our own country as well. As a mother, my heart was breaking for those children everywhere, who, as a result of violence, never come home again (whether it's these 43, or the 200 kidnapped girls in Africa, or unarmed young black men being shot by police in our own country). 

Then I found out one of my young friends in San Diego was very involved in organizing several events to protest this horror. Tomorrow (Saturday May 2nd) is a show opening, 43 artists for 43 students. I am one of those artists, painting and representing one of those students, Saul Bruno Garcia. I may have no political strength or clout, but I can bear witness to this happening, and not let it be forgotten. 

Check out the links I've inserted to hear more about this story, and to find out about the show.  You can google more about this....and what has been declared by the Mexican government up to this point.

All mother's hearts break
at the loss of one mother's child.
Yet they unite in LOVE
not fear,
against ALL wrongs. 
In memoriam, for Saul Bruno Garcia

 

 

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I live close to the border, too, like your friend in San Diego and I guess we may hear and know more intimately events in Mexico. I applaud this friend for his involvement in this exhibit.
As a mother who lost a child I had at least the knowledge of HOW he died. Those in Mexico live with fearful imaginations of the type of pain their children suffered. The reports have been varied so the agony of the parents has been constantly refreshed. They have died a thousand times themselves and brothers and sisters have been impacted forever too.
Your painting is profound and respectful.

May 5, 2015 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks so much for your thoughts Julie...I am still so moved at my friend's efforts and accomplishments with the show for Ayotzinapa. She is continuing with other events to carry this forward.

May 19, 2015 at 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home