Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Homage to Guercino - sold

6"x6" mixed media on gallery wrapped canvas, 3/4" thick.

This was truly a fun little piece to 'play' with. My recent visit to London was inspiring in so many ways. Not only the city - which is a WONDERFUL place (I LOVED it)- but the fabulous museum/gallery exhibits I got to see there.
Guercino is this man's nickname, meaning 'squinter' or one who squints. Turns out, the man had the unfortunate condition of being "cross-eyed". The exhibit included a portrait of the artist (done by another) - and indeed, his crossed vision, looked very painful or at the very least troublesome. He overcame this by squinting - in order to more strongly see his subject. Can you imagine - having to overcome such a thing? I found his drawings to be all- inspiring (and that was before I knew of his medical condition!).

I had to finish up the piece by indicating his given name, (inked in with a quill pen, top right)
Giovanni Francesco Barbieri. It's such a lyrical delight to pronounce! Bits of gold ink are rubbed on the edges and corners to give a look of antiquity. A bit different from what I normally do, What fun!

This painting is sold to Karen Abadie of Covington, LA. Thank you Karen!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home