Wednesday, May 30, 2007

draw-in of Summer on the Cove

8"x8" oil on gallery wrapped canvas,1 1/2" deep

I'm still thinking about our hike on Monday. Near the end of this little spit of land on the marsh-side of the cove a family had their boat pulled up near a bit of shore (I was surprised they had it this far up, I know there's shallows and drop-offs in this area, but I didn't think it was very deep). The kids were playing & it looked like another great way to spend a beautiful day.

In preparation to paint I like to have a warm under-painting for my landscapes. Then I keep the drawing very simple, more as a guide for placement. I draw in paint, so I can make corrections easily by just wiping away. But I do take the time to double check the horizon line - is it level? Since this is a gallery wrap style canvas, I carry the design around on all sides. Right now everything is weighted very heavy on the right. The boat is white & really caught the sun. There was a small red inflatable boat on the left....which I think I may change to a canoe. (There was one further down the shore which I liked & decided to include). I've left it loosely indicated as a smudge for now. I had not decided how I wanted to place this before I had to clean up for dinner & a meeting. I'll be glad to get some more paint on this tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home