Thursday, January 24, 2008

Keyhole View to Little Skellig - sold



8"x6" oil on linen mounted on professional art-board (Raymar)

Here is a view of 'Little Skellig" from the ruins of St. Michaels church on top of Skellig Michael. This well preserved monastery 'on a rock' in the ocean off of southwest Ireland is 640 (or so) steps up from the base. Difficult to describe it adequately, I found a quote that helps....
"As I climbed the path winding up to the ancient constructions near the top of the cliff, I sensed that I was on the threshold of something utterly unique, though I was by no means a stranger to monasteries, which I had visited throughout Europe, and even farther afield at one time and another. But nothing in my experience had prepared me for this huddle of domes, crouching halfway to heaven in this all but inaccessible place, with an intimidating immensity of space all around, where it was easy to feel that you had reached a limit of this world. A holy place, to be sure, which would still have been so, even if it had never known the consecrated life of prayer."
- Geoffrey Moorhouse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home