Thursday, November 27, 2008

Kerry Fields



24"x36" oil on canvas

"God is good, but never dance in a small boat." - Irish proverb

Of course the quote has nothing to do with the painting...except that it's of Ireland! And- it brought a smile to my face in a completely different way. I hope your Thanksgiving was a fine one - with some time to enjoy your family. I did the cooking today, whew, I had forgotten how what a marathon it can be! It's an all day affair at this house! For the last many years, we've spent Thanksgiving elsewhere....and I had not done the major part of the cooking. I did get cleaned up however- and have enough time to finish painting the sheep this evening. Now of course it's almost midnight - and I'm hungry again!

So, more about the painting: as you leave Shannon airport and head west, you eventually come into County Kerry. The hills begin to rise up and so many pastures spread out like patchwork separated by 'seams' of hedges. Mid to late summer brings different kinds of wild-flowers growing up in these ridges, fuscia and montbresia being my favorites! They are ones I tend to kill off here in the states. Over there, the fuscia is huge! Big mounds of it grow like crazy. In my favorite field that I've noticed each time I go over, there are several varieties of sheep; black face, all black ones, and then there are some really big, fat ones with long blowy wool. It seems such a different texture than the curly ones. There are lots of young ones still in June and July. They are all so cute- I find them irrestible!

This painting is for sale and available from my Daily Painters Gallery. Click on the link and then click on the painting you are interested in. There will then be a paypal button to click with more information. You can pay with a credit card, and no paypal account is needed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Evans said...

Roxanne, I love this! So evocative ...

November 28, 2008 at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home