Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Morning Glory Morning



6"x 6" oil on gessoed masonite artboard

"Earthly life is an eternal miracle. In a moment of grace, we can grasp eternity in the palm of our hand. This is the gift given to creative individuals who can identify with the mysteries of life through art. It is a divine gift, this spirit of humanity. It is the fight for light over shadow."
- Marcel Marceau


Early morning has a strong pull over me. The quiet part of the morning, once the sun comes up, lights up the distant valley and makes its way over to my yard, up and over the fence...opens up the morning glories and their colors of blue and magenta along the fence line of my front garden. They've arrived just in time, as the nasturtiums have gone all leggy and pale. One thing replaces another in the garden as the summer rolls straight on towards fall.



After I finished painting the morning glories, I 'harvested' a load of basil. In the evening, I made up some pesto sauce! This is such delicious stuff - and I think things taste better when you know they've grown right in your front yard! It's a Giada De Laurentiis recipe that my daughter found on-line for me! It's fabulous! Write me & I'll share it with you!roxannesteed@gmail.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Roxanne, the colours here are beautiful but what I love most is the vertical lines of the fence cutting upwards of the picture and seeming to almost entwine with the flowers.

August 25, 2009 at 11:38 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

hehe, thanks Sheila! The vines have wrapped around all the fence posts quite a bit! This morning I was out there (just a minute ago) trying to figure out if the same blooms open up again (a second time) or if these are new blossoms opening up....haven't figured out this little mystery yet(?)!

I've got to admit, I've enjoyed painting these fence posts this summer, they do make an interesting compositional element (in my opinion, too) - glad you like them!

August 26, 2009 at 3:52 AM  
Blogger rob ijbema said...

getting up early,doing a lovely painting like this...a recipe for a good day,
pesta and pasta,mmmmm

August 31, 2009 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks for the smile Rob, I needed that today! It's been a little bonkers around here lately, but I finally got some painting time in today!:-)

August 31, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home