Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Grazing Near The Cliffs, (Culoo, Valentia Island, Ireland)



20"x20" oil on canvas

"Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."
- Lin Yutang


This painting has been a process over time. I started with sketches from last summer, then blocked in an under-painting. There it sat while other projects came to a higher priority. Until now.... I finished it last week and I am just now getting the energy to blog about it! There lies the noble art of leaving things undone. My current priority has been healing, wellness and painting whenever possible. The memories of these particular sheep keep coming back to me when I look at these here in my studio. They came running up over a rise of rocks, and then stopped in their tracks as if startled by us. But then they quickly proceeded to start eating as if , "maybe if we look like we're busy, she won't notice us". But there is always at least one sheep 'on alert', ready to have them all run off again if things look too threatening. The sky was late in a summer afternoon, with some changing weather blowing in, that high thin pinkish blue, no shadows cast. The waves off of Culoo rock were crashing behind us, we sat for a bit on the rocks, listening to the ocean, watching the sheep...watching us.

I now have two new paintings started on 2 different easels in my studio. New
beginnings waiting for the next burst of energy.

Contact me for availability of this painting - roxannesteed@gmail.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

I like this composition Roxanne - 3 distinct planes within it. You also caught that "change in the air" very well. That is exactly how it often is over here. We begin to shiver a bit and the sheep just seem totally oblivious to the weather. Keep resting up!

February 3, 2010 at 1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home