Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sunrise Garden



18"x14" oil on canvas

"The difficulties which I meet with in order to realize my existence are precisely what awaken and mobilize my activities, my capacities."
- Jose' Ortega Y Gasset


Ah, dreaming of summer and what seems like infinite blossoms. It's still quite cold, but (when it's not pouring rain like this week) the sun is just beginning to give hints of longer days to come. This is what we call our sunrise garden, it's the first place the sun hits when it comes across the valley, up the hill and illuminates all of life. This week has been a cold windy rain here in south-eastern CT....so working on this painting, bit by bit has kept me sane from the winter blahs.

For those who've been following my blog, this past Tuesday was my last radiation treatment for breast cancer. YAY!!! Now I'm just hoping my energy levels will come back quickly (hope, hope, hope). And what will I do now that I'm done with that task??? "I'm going to Disney World!" Actually not to visit the park, (don't know that I'm quite ready for that yet), but I'm going to watch my twin daughters run in the Disney Princess Half-Marathon! They've been training since last summer, and the countdown days are here! We'll all be staying with my mom, so it will be a fun (and hopefully warm & restful) visit.

I've had a lot of time to be thinking about what's coming up in the garden this year. What projects we'll take on next for some more painterly visions? That's what this yard is all about, scenes at every turn for me to paint, paint & paint. It is truly a thrill that I'm looking forward to throughout this long winter! I'd like to send a thank-you out to Cris Larson, garden consultant for her advice in our planning process last year. Our first summer with our garden was lovely, but as each year passes, and things mature, wow! We had an idea of what we wanted & where, but being that "we're not from around these parts", we needed help selecting a list of hardy plants that would make it through the winters & be resistant to all forms of 'ick', be it fungal or mammal!

What's next on the easel? More garden views, beach scenes, and Ireland landscapes- all my favorite things! And I'll have many in smaller, affordable sizes - just the right size for that spot of necessary cheer on that shelf or nook, you know the one.... this gal is still earning her travel money..... & Ireland is calling my name.


*******
How to Purchase:
send me an email

13 Comments:

Blogger Victor Errington said...

Hi Roxanne.
Sunrise Garden and We Sprites are beautiful paintings. I love them, well done. And I am glad that you are on the mend. All the best.
Vic.

February 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Vic! It sure did feel good to get some more painting time in! :-)

February 26, 2010 at 5:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sunrise Garden is a glorious sight on this snowy day in New York. Thank you so much for sharing your vision. Be well.
Gretchen

February 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger The Garden Consultant said...

I'm so glad you love it. :) You're welcome.

February 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Gretchen, glad to share some sunshine!

February 26, 2010 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Cris! We're gonna start on the back yard once spring gets here....I can hardly stand the wait!

February 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger Artist said...

i love it!! i also really like the white of the fence. very well done!!!!!

February 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Janette Jones, Studio California said...

Beautiful painting Roxanne! Just feels like spring...and it's howling and rainy here in the Northern California Sierra Nevada foothills this evening too...

February 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks "Artist"!

Thanks Janette!- I've enjoyed seeing your beautiful paintings too! Yes, I hope these craZy storms will ease up & get outa here!

February 27, 2010 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger martinealison said...

I like this garden with a lot of flowers. Beautiful work with a bunch of colors. Very nice.

March 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Martine!

March 21, 2010 at 7:08 PM  
Blogger Mary Joy said...

I came across your blog because "The garden consultant" posted a blog which has link on your blog. Great site by the way.

April 10, 2010 at 12:31 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Mary Joy! I'm so glad you found my blog linked from The Garden Consultant!! Cris is awesome & has given us the best advice to make our home a wonderful, painterly place! I'm looking forward to this years' coming seasons! Things are finally starting to sprout in the garden - winter is OVER!!! :-D

April 10, 2010 at 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home