Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wrestling Alligators & Shipping Large Paintings




Just sharing some thoughts with other artists the last few days about the difficulty of shipping large works (36"x48"). I commented that the last huge one I did really felt like wrestling an alligator- you need a large cleared space, and there are certain parts that you can't/don't want to let go of while you're in the middle of this.

Now, I know there is the option of taking the whole canvas off of the stretcher bars, rolling it & shipping it in a tube container. But, if your work has the edges painted, and a lot of texture like mine....I'm quite concerned with disturbing the surface of the work.

- First a use a thin foam sheeting(comes on a roll, from U-line) to wrap the painting in. It's enough to keep the next layers from rubbing/marring the surface & edges.

-Next, I make a "sandwich" of a heavy-duty corrugated cardboard...AND THE SIZE MUST EXTEND PAST THE EDGES OF YOUR PAINTING. First I tape the foam wrapped painting to the bottom layer of the sandwich, then lay the top part on & tape it to the assembled stack, marking the outer layer with any instructions you might want to give to the person opening. This essentially prevents the edges from getting dinged and hopefully (unless they drive a truck over the thing) keeps your canvas from being punctured.

- Then - you need a box that is bigger than this size...it should hopefully extend out past the edges 2-4 inches on each edge. I save the boxes from my framing company for the really large ones- It is the heaviest/thickest corrugated cardboard I've found. For smaller/midsized paintings, I use boxes from U-line. Depending on how your box opens will determine how you set it in there- but essentially all that empty space surrounding your "sandwich" will be filled with foam (I use foam peanuts & YES, I do recycle them).

- So far, this has been effective (over the last 4 years that I've been mailing/shipping pieces around). The smaller works go via Priority Mail & anything larger than 11x14 goes UPS. I think the biggest concern for shipping a large stretched canvas would be risk of puncture, so your "inner sandwich" should be a heavy-duty card board.

Now, all that said, there are some others who have various methods of shipping, one I'd love to point out is Stapleton Kearns, on building a crate. Quite effective, but I haven't given this one the 'ole "Girl Scout Try" just yet!

Please comment here if you have more questions, or email me at roxannesteed@gmail.com

(nodp)

5 Comments:

Blogger Carol Nelson said...

Thanks, Roxanne. That's about how I do it, but instead of the heavy cardboard around the painting, I buy a 4x8 foot sheet of high density foam insulation from Home Depot. It's 0.5 inch thick and easy to cut to desired size.
Who do you use for international shipping?

April 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

I like the idea of using the large sheet of foam!

As for international shipping, I've only sent fairly large ones to Ireland & via USPS (yeah, postal service- but the rates for large stuff going out of the country is cheaper than large stuff staying in-country....go figure. That's why the guy at UPS(brown dudes) told me that USPostal Service is losing money! Though I found later, shipping rates/sizes going to Canada differed quite a bit & ended up being more(than some similar large ones going to Ireland). Most of what I've sent overseas (and as far as South Korea, Australia, Europe, UK) are small thank goodness, & go via USPS.

Have you found any particular shipper better/easier/safer than others?

April 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Carol Nelson said...

I use USPS if the total size (length, width and circumference) of the box is less than 72 inches.
I had one painting going to Australia that was about 16x30 that UPS wanted $400 to ship!?!?!?
I offered to take it off the stretcher bars, but the client wanted it framed the way it was on my website.
Ended up cancelling the sale.

April 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

ugh, that's too bad. Yes, after I realized where my biggie limitation was on shipping overseas...it made me appreciate the small ones so much more!

April 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Artist said...

wonderful painting there! i can see the texture and i love it!

April 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home