Monday, March 29, 2010

Road to the Lighthouse at Old Head, Kinsale, Ireland



5"x7" oil on gessoed masonite artboard

"STRANGE IRISH GOLF FACT: One of the propellers of "The Lusitania", sunk off The Old Head of Kinsale in 1915, was melted down and turned into sets of golf clubs that sold for $900 each."


Here's the third painting from my new little series of scenes from Old Head of Kinsale:
****I'm currently reading, "A Course Called Ireland" by Tom Coyne...which I'm enjoying immensely even though I'm not a golfer. But I AM a traveler who claims Ireland to be one of the most wonderful destinations I've had the good fortune to enjoy. Coyne's descriptions had me hankering to get out the pile of reference shots/materials I had from last summer, that I had used in completing a commission painting for a collector who HAD actually golfed there many times. The wildness of the rocky coastlines and ever changeable weather that makes for some dramatic skies make for a dramatic painting....and lots of great memories!

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $100 USD plus $10 USD s/h
Or, send me an email


I've begun a small series of these landscapes from this corner of Ireland.
I have 3 that I've finished so far. Am currently interrupted by some unexpected travels...hope to be back by the end of this week.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Beautiful series of paintings Roxanne, this one has me right in there with the wind on my face...

Jeffrey

April 3, 2010 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Jeffrey! hehe, there's times it can definitely be quite the stiff breeze off the ocean! You need a knit cap to keep the hair on your head from being one big knot! :-D

April 3, 2010 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Artist said...

love the different greens/yellows in the grass!!

April 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Jan Yates, SCA said...

sciamhach! Brings me back.
You have really taken me to the light and volume of this wild country!

April 5, 2010 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks so much for the fine compliment Jan! I see from your blog you're a fan of Ireland, too? I'd love to hear about your travels there!

April 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home