Thursday, March 11, 2010

Iris Evening & Foxglove Cuttings - watercolor & sharpie sketches




"Break open a cherry tree and there are no flowers, but the spring breeze brings forth myriad blossoms."
-Ikkyu Sojun


Today, I'm sharing two sketches with you, just sharpie marker & watercolor washes. A simple way to think out ideas for future paintings, but delightful in & of themselves. It's a rainy, dreary day today here in Florida, with tomorrow looking like more of the same. So, some quick sketches to flesh-out some thoughts about garden views that I've really loved. So even on rainy days, even on vacation/travel, I'm always thinking about painting (and gardening), looking for a beautiful image to share my views on.

The first is "Iris Evening". In a previous home, we had a grouping of those tiny white Irises, surrounded by 'pinks' (dianthus?). The contrasting shadows & illuminated spaces were really breath-taking. The second sketch "Foxglove Cuttings", a simple watering can on our front porch, was filled with foxglove cuttings, put there by my husband...no doubt waiting for me to paint them!

Well, I'm hoping Panera will just reserve this seat for me while I'm in town visiting! A nice foamy latte & some internet time & people watching isn't a bad way to spend part of the afternoon!

2 Comments:

Blogger Artist said...

love the first one! great new thing to try out!!

March 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

Thanks Artist! I bring along sharpies & a sketch book & a tiny tin of watercolor blocks when I want to keep the supplies on the light-weight side!
:-D

March 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home